Birth in Penketh
Great grandfather Isaac “Ike” Gandy was born on the 27th of September 1857 in Penketh near Warrington, Lancashire, England to William Gandy and Mary Ann Elizabeth Lawrenson (sometimes spellt Lawrinson or Laurenson). Strangely his grandparents were also called William Gandy and Elizabeth Lawrenson, which perhaps says something about the unchanging nature of village life during this period.
In the 1861 census we find Ike living with his parents at Stocks Lane End in Sankey, the adjoining hamlet, together with his brothers William and David and sisters Maria and Martha. Ike’s father William ran a cordwainers’ (cobblers) business employing three men and an apprentice.
The Old Crown & Cushion Inn seen above was located at the corner of Stocks Lane End and Farnworth Road, Sankey.
Read more about cordwaining/the Gandy family here:
The Villages of Penketh and Sankey
Penketh and Sankey (official name Great Sankey) are two villages between Widnes and Warrington in Lancashire, England on the northern bank of the River Mersey. The Mersey flows past Warrington and Penketh to Widnes and then on to Liverpool and the Irish Sea. MAP.
Originally they were two adjacent estates, the landowners living in Penketh Hall and Sankey Hall respectively, which became separate parishes as the population grew.
In 1821 the population of Sankey and Penketh was 1 028 but by 1901 had grown to 2 769. Today Penketh is home to some 3 800 households, in all about 10 500 people.
Read more about Penketh and Sankey here.
Read more about Penketh today here.